Saturday 26 November 2022

Autism & Art

When I was a kid, I didn't understand adults.  My mother used cryptic phrases like "you little article" and "I'll put that smile on the other side of your face".  She said this while doing mad stuff like laundry and buying food.  

Adults were bananas.  And bought bananas.

I had no idea what their weird language meant.  It became my life's ambition to become one so I could understand them.


Then my dream came true.

Hate tha'


I just spent the day cleaning a house that resembled a crack den trashed by angry badgers.  

Now an enlightened adult, the smile is very much on the other side of my face.  

When you think about it, babies are  smart.  They very vocally protest the whole being-born business.  They barrel into this world screaming and covered in shit.  This is a really observant predictor of what's to come.

Being a grown-up kinda sucks. 


But, in between the whole birth and death thing, there IS fun to be had.

Finian was always averse to art.  It was way too messy and sensory for him.  In his final year at Abacas, though, an innovative art therapist helped coax out a hidden love he has for it.  This has become a really fun medium for him to express himself through (all the more valuable for someone who struggles with language processing). 

I also didn't believe I could paint until I was introduced/bullied into it by a dear friend (she's called Dani and I'll pm you her credit card details for a small fee).

I was right, btw.  

I can't paint.  

But I'm having so much fun can't-painting, and am creating weird messes on canvas that delight the bold child in me.

There's only one consonant separating 'autistic' from 'artistic'.  I suspect there's a bunch of gods somewhere having a great laugh about this.




No comments:

Post a Comment