Saturday 19 November 2022

Autism & Takiwatanga

Native Maoris don't recognise autism as a disability.  This 'primitive' culture were rocking neurodivergence long before white people arrived with a welcome gift of smallpox and genocide.  

Indigenous embrace of those with special needs is so pure that they don't have a word in their vocabulary for disability.  

The closest phrase they have of a definition of autism is "takiwatanga", meaning "his or her own time and space".  

What a beautiful phrase to taste and roll around your mouth.  

His or her own time and space.

Imagine if we enjoyed this flavour of autism, instead of wishing to change it, break it or spit it out?

In this insane corner of the 'civilised' world we value speed, productivity, material wealth, aggressive acquisition and perpetually anaesthetising 'entertainment'.  

We are rewarded for running on empty, using a burnt-out engine imposed on us by a toxic culture.

The notion of sitting quietly with ourselves is so alien that it fills us with terror.  Most of us have never met our true selves.

In my work as a counsellor, one of the first exercises I invite my clients to try is to practice five minutes a day of sitting in stillness.  Most struggle hugely with it.

In the west, we sleepwalk through our lives at lightening speed.

It's no wonder we frame autism as a set of infuriating deficits.

So, I caught myself feeling impatient with Finian yesterday.  

He is a handsome, able-bodied young man but I have to help him have a shower.  I found myself rolling my eyes as I had to rinse his hair and help him shave.

I'm a product of my western values, so I'm not being too hard on myself about this, but my life with Finian is teaching me to experience the world with a wider lens.

I took a deep breath and stayed with the discomfort of slowing down.  I remembered to be, instead of do.

In first nations cultures, our autistic loved ones embody mindfully living in their own time and space.  Seems to me that primitive cultures and disabled people are lightyears ahead of the rest of us in knowing their own souls.




2 comments:

  1. May I share a link to this post also? I just adore this mindset and such a beautiful term and definition.

    ReplyDelete