Friday 20 October 2023

Autism & The Cute Quotient

I'm not entirely sure when Autism stopped being cute.

Back in the day, Finian was met with indulgent smiles when he flung himself into the arms of strangers.  He was chubby and cuddly and loudly generous with hugs.  His disregard for boundaries disarmed the most defended of people.  He took Cute, blended it with feral vitality, and unleashed his own irresistible brand of Lovable onto the world. There was no-one he couldn't charm.

Then, in the space of a few disorientating months, he sprouted body hair and grew 3 feet taller.  

The once compact, rosy-cheeked, ankle-biter scaled up into a man-sized Jitterbug, composed mostly of knees and elbows.  

He began to scare people.

Ngl, it was kinda a shock.  

I'm a card-carrying Irish mammy.  I am blessed with the unshakeable knowledge that I have given birth to the Most Beautiful Children Who Have Ever Existed....... but even I can see that Finian is at risk of becoming known for all the wrong reasons.  My son's deceptively adult body is governed by a banana republic with a drunk toddler managing the war cabinet ..... but all this limited world can perceive is an alarming eccentric with little regard for social convention.

It's my job to keep him as safe as I can in a world not designed for the neurodivergent.

There's nothing about this in the DSM.  There's no graduation ceremony, graph or flow chart to give us a heads-up.  We don't receive slices of cake, or HSE memos, or milestone reminders, indicating that the Delightful Quotient has degraded from Enchanting AF into Social Menace territory.

Special needs parents have to figure things out for themselves.  We have to be clear-eyed about what can make our kids lives difficult, and be creative with how we circumvent future hardship.

Finian is an unpredictable pre-schooler inhabiting the body of a nineteen year old man.  My task is to be his tree in the storm;  I need to have strong roots anchored deep in safe earth, with flexible branches that bend with the wind.  Because I enjoy a stretchy metaphor so much, I also need to be the leaves that evolve with seasons and create beauty out of air and earth.  No small task.

Flexibility, the willingness to embrace change, is central to the wellbeing of our special needs kids.  When we bend, we won't break.




No comments:

Post a Comment